Wednesday, June 21, 2017


I am but one man. I am the voice of my people. Whatever their hearts are, that I talk. I want no more war. I want to be. You deny me the rights of a white man. My skin is red; my heart is like any man's heart; but I am a Modoc. I am not afraid to die. I will not fall on the rocks. When I die, my enemies will be under me. Your soldiers began (fighting) me when I was asleep on Lost River. They drove us on these rocks like a wounded deer. I have always told the white man heretofore to come and settle in my country; that it was his country and Captain Jack's country. That they could come and live there with me and that I was not mad with them. I never received anything from anybody, only what I bought and paid for myself. I have always lived a humble life like all men, and wanted to do so. I have always tried to live peaceably and never asked any man for anything. I have always lived on what I could kill and shoot with my gun, and catch in my trap.

Kintpuash (Captain Jack) Last Free Chief of the Modoc’s

No comments:

Post a Comment